Thursday 8 May 2014

Help! How to cope with a really early morning run



Up at 5.30 out running at around 5.50 I think the earliest I have ever been out running.

I am very used to getting up at 5.30 leaving the house around 6.00 commuting into London, going to the gym, doing a warm up and then heading out for a run around 7.30 by which time I have done a lot if activity and feel awake.

However heading out so early and so soon after getting out of bed was a struggle!

I was rewarded with a nice quiet run and really enjoyed the peacefulness of being out so early when the roads were clear and quiet.

Who else goes out so early? How do you prepare in terms of eating/drinking or warming up? Any advice gratefully received!

2 comments:

  1. I don't generally run so early in the morning, but I have a few times, and usually what I do is to make sure to eat a big dinner the night before the run, and definitely be sure to drink water the day before. Then for breakfast, I'll usually eat a bagel with peanut butter and a piece of fruit, like a banana. I'm not sure about you, but I don't like running too soon after eating, so I usually eat about 45 minutes to an hour before my run. It does make me have to get up a little earlier, but I feel a lot better. I'm not sure if that's what you were looking for, but hopefully that helped you out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kathryn, a big dinner the night before and being well hydrated is good advice I already follow.
    I am the same with you regarding not wanting to run soon after eating and I usually try to eat at least an hour before running which is doable when heading out at 9am or even 8am but not when aiming to head out at 6am! I think I am just going to have to go out without eating at all or have a banana or similar 15 minutes before heading out. Thanks for taking the time to offer advice.

    ReplyDelete