Sunday 15 March 2015

Overdue blog update!

Right it time to get back to blogging! 

The last few months has seen a new job and a new flat, a few trips away and injury niggles which has meant a downturn in both my running and blogging activities. 

But now things are starting to simmer down and settle back into some sort of routine.

This week I have been inspired and motivated by two runners to get back to my blogging and to throw myself back into training. 

The first inspiration was finishing Angry Jogger by Angry Jogger, a great read I would recommend to any runner who doesn't take themselves too seriously and wants to make the most of their running. I am planning a full review of the book in due course, watch this space! 

Secondly I met up with my Asics262 boot camp buddy Anthony McNeil for a catch up chat on his training ahead of tackling the Paris marathon in four weeks. You can read up on my Asics262 boot camp experience here and follow Tony's journey on his forum thread here

So in terms of my running I completed the Tunbridge Wells Half Marathon a few weeks ago where I was soundly beaten by my brother in law Tom who had a blinding PB run. 

Not wanting a repeat performance at the Hampton Court Palace Half marathon we are both running in two weeks I have been training hard, but really just having a bit more time to train now after a busy few months will make all the difference with my performance. 

This morning I headed out for a long run from my mother in laws house in Dagenham and headed out along the the long, old, grim stretch of A13 to Rainham. 



From Rainham I marvelled at the new train station developments before following the new signage and heading out to Rainham marshes and then onwards to Purfleet.




The stretch along the Thames to Purfleet was cold and windy which made for tough going!



At the Purfleet RSPB nature reserve I stopped for a quick toilet break before turning to head home. 



On the route back I was interested to see how I felt especially after massively struggling on an 18Km run last weekend, after around 14Km I felt so good I decided to push it to see what I could achieve.

At the end of my run I reflected on running at least 23Km, around 12Km there and the same back. I ran the outward leg in around 1hour 8minutes and the return leg in about 1hour 3minutes. 

I was really pleased to run a negative split over a longer distance and my last 3 or 4 Kms must have all been a good 20-30seconds quicker than the first 3 or 4. 

I am so pleased to be back up and running well and enjoying it! Watch out Hampton Court Palace Half Marathon! 

I have plenty of ideas and articles to write up, so keep yours eyes out for lots from me to follow in the next few weeks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment