Sunday 26 April 2015

2015 London Marathon

Unfortunately not running just spectating but none the less I was out the house bright and early this morning to head into London to be part of one of the greatest events in the British sporting calendar.

As I sat on the train I was overcome with marathon envy as runners got on the train to make their way to the starting point in Blackheath. 

I headed for the Tower Bridge area which is around the 13 mile mark which also gives you the opportunity to see runners returning back into the City at around mile 22 as they head towards the finish. 

Even early in the morning long before the start the course was full and the excited atmosphere building. 


I had a it of a stroll along the route and came across an elite runners drinks station. I was struck by the elaborate lengths runners had gone to highlight their personal drinks bottle to make it easy for them to find. Tinsel, national flags, tinfoil, hazard tape and flowers all used to help runners pinpoint their particular drink.


I was really excited to see the elite men's bottle laid out ready to be placed on the table, you can see the labels of several of the leading male runners, I just found this really cool!


Soon enough I picked my spot with a good view of runners coming along the course just after crossing Tower Bridge and just before the halfway mark. 


It seemed like a long wait but once it kicks off the action is then pretty constant. I am always interested in the fact that the event actually comprises of several races, the elite men's and women's, the wheelchair races, the Paralympic competitors as well as the club runners followed my the masses.


The headline of this years marathon was the fact it was Paula Radcliffe's last competitive marathon. A real icon of British sport in recent year for both the right and wrong reasons it was great to support her in her last marathon on this course that has played a key part in her career. As the biggest British marathon star during my time as a runner before the advent of the superstar that has become Mo Farah she has been a running inspiration to me so #thankspaula.


It was brilliant to spend a few hours being part of this inspirational event, well done to everyone that ran today, you are all awesome! 




No comments:

Post a Comment