Friday 12 August 2016

This weekend I will be mostly running

So this weekend I will be mostly...


Running....

For the third year I am taking part in Spitfire Scramble but this time instead of being part of a team I have taken the plunge and am running as a solo runner.


My aim is to cover 100K in the 24 hours which will be my first stab at an ultra.

I will be honest and say I am not sure what to expect, running so much further than I ever have before, going solo instead of being part of a team and pushing myself as far as I can go are all challenges that I will tackle.

Can I cover the distance? 

On the one hand when I think that in previous years at Spitfire I have covered almost 60K and felt fine then why by slowing the pace down a bit I should easily be able to cover a bit more distance, but then again the thought of running two and a half marathons just doesn't seem feasible! I cant say I have ever felt like running another mile after any marathon I have completed let alone another marathon and a half!

What are my tactics to get me through?

I have a schedule of how the 24 hours are going to plan out in terms of my running and rest periods. I have planned out my scheduled start times for each lap and how long my rest periods will be so I know what I need to do.

I know staying hydrated will be key as well as taking on enough calories to keep me running. The plan is to take on something after every 10K lap whether that be a gel, some dried fruit or something more substantial if I can take it.

Other than that my tactics are consistency, coffee beans, trying to get a few hours sleep somewhere in the middle and trying not to feel like a hamster going round and round on a wheel!

I am hoping it will be fun and I will embrace the challenge of running longer and further than ever before.

Any last minute tips and advice for a first time ultra runner? If you are also spitfire scrambling this weekend good luck and I hope to see you there! 



No comments:

Post a Comment